Green Guide for Healthcare, Oregon
New Green Guide for Healthcare (GGHC) Hospital in Oregon
Project Summary: Green Guide for Healthcare
An existing hospital needed more space and upgrades to an older building. Owners and BOD pushed the design-build team for a sustainable building, and GGCH provided the framework for design and construction, as well as guidance on how to operate the new hospital.
Alex Stadtner worked with the Owners to define project goals using GGHC as a framework. He worked with the design team in an integrated process to ensure goals for sustainability made it into the project specifications and drawings. Detailed material reviews were required, since GGHC has credits restricting the use of flame retardants, mercury, and PVC.
During construction, Stadtner worked closely with the Builder and often played liaison when sustainability issues arose between the Builder-Owner and Builder-Subcontractor. Even before project completion the staff was creating green policies for the new building so they would get off on the right foot. The project received GGHC certification and Owners, staff, and patients are happier in their energy efficient and health-supporting building.
Results or Project Highlights:
Design & Construction
- Integrated Design Process
- Health Mission Statement integral to all design documents and meetings
- Conscientious connections made from indoors to outdoors
- Landscape irrigation demand reduced by 50%
- Materials intentionally specified to minimize mercury, lead, cadmium and copper
- Low-Emitting adhesives and sealants
- EnergyStar Score > 75
- Building Operations & Maintenance Systems
- Indoor Air Quality Management Plan
- Green Cleaning Policy
- Sustainable Purchasing Policy
- Food Waste Reduction Strategy
Project Team: Alex Stadtner, President & Senior Consultant
MS, CGBP, GPR, LEED-AP, HHS, BBEC, CIEC.
Who is Healthy Building Science?
Environmental Testing Services at HBS
Sign up for our Quarterly newsletter
Sign Up For Newsletter
We value your privacy.
Your email is never shared or sold.